How to Link Aadhaar card to PAN?
Income Tax Department has issued a notification, which stated that income tax filing can be done without linking Aadhaar and PAN until August 5, 2017. The deadline to link Aadhaar and PAN was August 31, 2017.
Before that, IT e filing could be done without linking, but the tax department didn’t process the IT e filing till the time Aadhaar and PAN are linked.
For e filing income tax, the IT Department has smoothened down the process of linking PAN with Aadhaar. You just have to follow a two-step process. It doesn’t require you to register or login to the income tax filing website. Anyone can use this facility to link Aadhaar with PAN.
Read About: Here’s Why You should be Efiling Income Tax
2 step process to link PAN and Aadhaar
Follow the steps mentioned below to link PAN and Aadhaar.
- Step 1: Just log on to incometaxindiaefiling(dot)gov(dot)in and click the tab on the left side– Link Aadhaar.
- Step 2: Fill in your PAN and Aadhaar number. After that fill in your name as per Aadhaar card. Don’t make any spelling mistake and submit it. After the verification from UIDAI i.e. government website for Aadhaar, it will be linked.
In event of any minor mismatch in the name mentioned in Aadhaar, Aadhaar OTP will be needed. Make sure that the date of birth and gender mentioned in Aadhaar and PAN are the same.
In the case where name mentioned in Aadhaar is completely different from the name mentioned in PAN, the linking won’t be possible and the taxpayer must change his/her name either in PAN or Aadhaar database.
The process of linking PAN with Aadhaar is also available after you login to the IT website. Here are the steps to do that.
- Step 1: If you haven’t registered already, register yourself at the e filing income tax portal-https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/.
- Step 2: Enter your login Id, password and date of birth and Log in to the IT e-Filing portal.
- Step 3: Once you have logged in, a pop-up window will appear and it will prompt you to link your Aadhaar with PAN. In case you do not see the popup, click on the blue tab on the top named ‘Profile Settings’ and then click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- Step 4: Details like name, date of birth and gender will be mentioned by default according to the details submitted at the time of registration. Cross check the details displayed on the screen with the details mentioned on your Aadhaar.
- Step 5: When the details match, fill your Aadhaar number and type captcha code, after that click on “Link now” button.
- Step 6: A pop-up message will appear on your screen informing that your Aadhaar has been linked successfully with your PAN.
Linking Aadhaar and PAN made easier
You can link your PAN and Aadhaar through SMS as well. The IT Department has offered a facility where taxpayers can link their PAN and Aadhaar, using your phone. All you have to do is send an SMS to 567678 or 56161.
Send an SMS to 567678/ 56161 from your registered mobile number in the following format.
UIDPAN <12 digit Aadhaar number> <10 digit PAN number>.
For instance: UIDPAN 123456789123 ABCDE2124E
We hope this article was helpful for you. You must have learned how to link Aadhaar and Pan card for e-fling your income tax.
Read About: Income Tax E-Filing Process For Salaried Individuals